Tuesday, May 18, 2010

13.6 vs 21.9

Tried another alternative today. I parked my car at a shopping plaza 6 miles away from the house (A Publix, off of MLK/9th and Roosevelt if any of you know the area), kinda of a ..middle ground for the ride. Dimitrios was a bit adamant on me doing this - as me going down Roosevelt during 5pm traffic and near the I-275 Interstates during that time makes him a little nervous. I still have yet to fully experience it, but I can see why it would be sketchy just riding through it on the few mornings that I have. Even with hardly any traffic, cars are coming off that exit at a pretty fast pace (rightly so - they just got off the Interstate), so yea. This might be the best alternative that I found so far.

Parking the car and then riding the rest of the way is still going to save a good bit on gas so I'm ok with it. Anything at this point. Also another reason why I'm looking at bus routes as well. One of these days I'll get the courage to do that. Maybe during the summer.
It's not so much the 'courage'. I guess that's the wrong word. It's more of the anxiety of 'IF' I miss the bus, I have to wait for the other, which will in fact, put me 30 minutes late. And I hate being late...to anything. Anxiety issues that happened from a young age, what can I say. Unfortunately, I can't even 'test run' the bus route on the weekends as the routes that go over to Tampa DON'T RUN ON THE WEEKENDS (yes, our Mass transit is retarded).
There's also the fear of someone jacking my bike. I know this is probably HIGHLY unlikely, as the bus driver will hopefully be paying attention on who's bike is who -but still - you never know. Again, I know I can just keep an eye on it from the bus, but there's still that...anxiety of it happening.
But I'm sure I WILL have to take the bus one of these days over. Even if it's just one way home in the afternoon.

I still love the mornings here in the Tampa Bay Area. Riding over the water is so relaxing compared to being in the car. It makes me like where I live again. And able to tolerate it for just a bit longer.
Cyclist's aren't joking when they state "The World looks better on a bike".

1 comment:

ZenGato said...

You parked your car a block from my house. You should just park in front of my apartment next time!