Wednesday, June 9, 2010

HONK!! HONK!!

I don't know who determined it was ok for people to HONK at cyclists on the road, but seriously, it's not doing your case any good. I'm a cyclist..in the road, not swerving. I am aware of my surroundings. You don't think I can't HEAR you car coming up behind me? You don't think I can tell how fast you're going or which lane you're in. My job is to be on GUARD at all times so as not to get clobbered by a car. YOUR JOB IS TO PASS ME - GIVING ME THREE FEET OF SPACE BY MOVING OVER (Required by law) and to not disrupt my ride. Honking your horn while passing, only STARTLES THE CYCLISTS and thus MIGHT cause them to weave. OR definitely/for sure make them your worst enemy for giving them that scare.

Now I on the other hand, have taken a different approach - just so you jackholes don't ruin my day. I have decided that instead of honking to just either a) let me know that you're there (even though I CAN HEAR YOU COMING FROM 5 MILES BACK) or b) cause you're upset that you have to move that steering wheel over just so to give me room...I have determined that you are my cheering squad. So if you hear me yelling WOOOO YEAAAAAA GO TEAM MEEEEE!!! when you HONK and pass me - sorry if that's not what you wanted, but I'm not going to let stupidity ruin my day.

I am on top of the world when I am cycling, there is nothing you can do that can ruin how good cycling makes me feel.

1 comment:

ZenGato said...

Awesome post and good way to look at it! Those assholes are not going to change so you have to adapt and find a way to make their douchebaggery work FOR you!