Wednesday, August 13, 2008

And so it begins...

This all started for a number of reasons:
  • I started cycling this year and love it.
  • I'm sick of paying out the @$$ for gas and it's prices.
  • The exercise alone for cycling is amazing.
  • It's good for the environment AND my health.
  • I'm planning a move to Portland, OR in four years time (or less...depending on life) and need to get acclimated.
  • My car, which will be paid off next month (September) is starting to have problems that will cost more than she is worth to fix (she a 1998). And soo....

I want to be ready to be completely car free when the expense gets too much to fix her.

I thought about going cold turkey, but the though of not having 'my car' (yes, I will admit it's a control thing for the most part) and feeling like my freedom is being taken away just like THAT, scares me.
So this weekend, I will start the 'baby steps' process. I will prepare throughout the weekend by starting to buy the needed items (will post those later), resources for transit (also another post) and making routes to cycle most of my life for now on.
And next week... I will attempt to go completely car-less.

Stay tuned. Daily progress will be recorded starting on Monday, August 18th.

No comments: